International Truss Systems (ITS), a full system supplier to the prefabricated timber roof truss industry and Supplier Member of the Institute for Timber Construction South Africa (ITC-SA), recently facilitated a workshop on Timber Engineering to final-year students at the University of Johannesburg (UJ).
The workshop is a programme initiated by Engineering Efficacy South Africa, an NGO that promotes innovation through engineering education and supports the employer/employee journey in the engineering space through the design and facilitation of graduate development programmes.
In light of the serious skills gap that exists between the tertiary education sphere and industry, this programme aims to bridge the gap by developing a skills pipeline to the industry.
The workshop is called ‘Bridging the gap in Civil and Structural Engineering’ and its goals are the:
- Improvement of graduate employability
- Development of entrepreneurial minds and attitude
The ITS Timber Engineering workshop outcomes:
- The candidate will gain an understanding of how the timber industry works.
- What to expect as an engineer.
- Awareness of the services and technology available for timber design.
- A brief introduction to the available software needed for timber design.
Comments are closed.