The Institute for Timber Construction South Africa (ITC-SA) is committed to protecting the privacy of the users of its Website and Social Media Platforms.
This Privacy Statement has been drafted as the ITC-SA’s undertaking and commitment to the lawful processing of personal information in accordance with the privacy objectives and principles as set out in the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA).
If you do not agree to the terms as laid out in this Privacy Statement, please refrain from using the ITC-SA Website or Social Media Platforms.
Effective date: 1 April 2023
Definitions and Interpretation
“ITC-SA” means the Institute for Timber Construction of South Africa, a South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) recognised Professional Body and Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) recognised Voluntary Association for the timber roof truss sector.
“Personal Information” means information or data relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to —
- information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, wellbeing, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
- information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
- any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
- the biometric information of the person;
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
- correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
- the name of the person if it appears with other Personal Information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person, received by ITC-SA from any party in any format including, without limitation, electronic, paper or verbal;
“POPIA” means the Protection of Personal Information Act, No. 4 of 2013, as amended;
“Processing” means any operation or activity or any set of operations, whether or not by automatic means, concerning Personal Information, including—
- the collection, receipt, recording, organisation, collation, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, alteration, consultation or use;
- dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available in any other form;
- or merging, linking, as well as restriction, degradation, erasure or destruction of information;
“You” or the “user” means any person (including but not limited to Third Parties) who accesses and browse the ITC-SA Website or other Social Media Platforms utilized by ITC-SA A for any purpose.
“Website” means the Website of ITC-SA at https://www.itc-sa.org or such other URL as ITC-SA may choose from time to time.
“Third Parties” means the organisations conducting business with ITC-SA whether contractually or per legislative mandate which Third Parties utilise the ITC-SA Website or Social Media Platforms to populate, store or retrieve Personal Information.
Status and Amendments
The ITC-SA respects your privacy. This Privacy Statement sets out the ITC-SA’s information gathering and dissemination practices in respect of its Website and Social Media Platforms.
This Privacy Statement governs the processing of Personal Information provided to the ITC-SA through your use of its Website and Social Media Platforms.
The ITC-SA may amend its Privacy Statement from time to time. This version of the Privacy Statement is indicated by the effective date specified at the top of this Privacy Statement and governs the use of ITC-SA Website and Social Media Platforms usage until the next revision becomes effective. It is your duty to read and agree to the most recent version of this Privacy Statement.
Processing of Personal Information
By providing your Personal Information to ITC-SA
- You acknowledge that it has been collected directly from you;
- You give ITC-SA consent to process and further process the required Personal Information for the required purpose, in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
- The ITC-SA will only process Personal Information in a manner that is adequate, relevant and not excessive in the context of the purpose for which it is processed. The specific purpose for which information is collected will be apparent from the context in which it is requested.
- The ITC-SA collects and processes Personal Information of membership applicants and existing members, per the mandate in Section 13 of the NQF Act, 2008 as amended, for inter alia the following purposes which are non-exhaustive:
— Population of the NLRD;
— Verification of qualification achievements;
— Evaluation of foreign qualifications;
— Registration of qualifications and part-qualifications;
— Conducting Research
- The ITC-SA will keep records of all Personal Information collected and the specific purpose for which it was collected for 1 (one) year from the date on which it was last used or a longer period if required by legislation.
- The ITC-SA will not disclose any Personal Information relating to you to any third party unless:
— your prior written consent is obtained; or
— the ITC-SA is required by law to disclose such information; or
— it is required for the proper performance of a function by the ITC-SA.
- If Personal Information is released with your consent, the ITC-SA will retain a record of the information released, the third party to which it was released, the reason for the release and the date of release. Some of these records of released information are required to be retained permanently. Notwithstanding that the ITC-SA is required to retain some of these records permanently, the ITC-SA shall not retain any other records of Personal Information for longer than is necessary for achieving the purpose for which the information was collected or subsequently processed.
- Subject to the above clause, the ITC-SA will destroy or delete any Personal Information that is no longer needed by the ITC-SA for the purpose it was initially collected, or subsequently processed.
- The ITC-SA may use Personal Information collected to compile data for statistical purposes. No information contained in the data or statistics will be able to be linked to any specific user;
The ITC-SA requires all Third Parties doing business with ITC-SA to comply with the POPIA conditions for lawful processing of Personal Information.
Before loading or sharing any Personal Information on the ITC-Website, all Third Parties shall have obtained written consent from the Data Subject and clearly informed the Data Subject that the Personal Information will be shared with the ITC-SA and loaded on the ITC-SA Website and the purpose thereof.
Collection of anonymous data
The ITC-SA may use standard cookie and tracking technology to collect information about the use of its Website and Social Media Platforms. This information will not be used to identify users personally but may be used to compile identified statistics or to provide the ITC-SA with feedback on the performance of its Website or Social Media Platforms.
The following classes of information may be collected in respect of users who have enabled cookies:
- he browser software used
- IP address
- Date and time of activities when visiting the Website or Social Media Platform
- URLs of internal pages visited
The ITC-SA is legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the Personal Information it holds and to stop unauthorised access and use of Personal Information. The ITC-SA will, on an ongoing basis, continue to review its security controls and related processes to ensure that your Personal Information remains secure.
When ITC-SA contracts with Third Parties, it imposes appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality obligations on the Third Party to ensure that Personal Information for which the ITC-SA remains responsible, is kept secure.
Links to external websites
The ITC-SA has no control over and accepts no responsibility for the privacy practices of any third-party websites to which hyperlinks may have been provided and the ITC-SA strongly recommends that you review the privacy statement of any website you visit before using it further.
Privacy Statement Queries
If you have any queries about this Privacy Statement; need further information about the ITC-SA’s privacy practices; wish to withdraw consent; exercise preferences or access or correct your Personal Information, please contact us by emailing email@example.com.