A Roof Inspector Training Course (CPD-accredited) will be hosted at the Institute for Timber Construction South Africa’s (ITC-SA) head office in Isando from 7-9 May 2018.
With the aim to enable any technical person to be able to conduct roof inspections with knowledge and insight and to registered persons to sign off roofs on their own, knowing that they speak with authority, the course covers the following:
The course will include an introduction to timber roof structures, including basic terminology; the basics of timber structure design, framing and bracing; design consideration between light and heavily loaded timber roof structures; manufacturing of timber roof structures, transportation and storage; installation of timber roof structures; different timber roof structures and types of buildings; and case studies and experiences in roofing structures.
The course will also include engaging site visits as well as a written evaluation.
- 08:00 Registration at ITC-SA head office
- 08:30 Who is the ITC-SA? Role players and their different responsibilities in the roofing industry in SA.
- 09:00 Introduction on timber roof structures
- 09:30 Basic roof structures terminology & tools:
- Members forming a roof structure
- Building layouts & framing types
- Overhangs, cantilevers
- Engineered & site-made types of structures
- 10:30 Tea/coffee
- 10:40 Basics of timber structure design, framing judgment. Code-based design compliance, deemed-to-satisfy rules and tributary loading.
- 12:00 Design consideration between light & heavily loaded timber roof structure
- 13:00 Lunch
- 14:00 Bracing considerations & differences in roof structure type & member type
- 16:00 End of Day 1
- 08:30 Truss & layout bracing types & their special requirements in design & framing, ITC-SA manual on bracing.
- 09:30 Case study examples
- 10:00 Tea/coffee
- 10:20 Manufacture of timber structures & quality control, engineered & site-made – case study examples.
- 11:30 Handling, transportation & storage of timber structures
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Installation of timber roof structures, inspections & paperwork; roles & responsibilities.
- 14:45 First site visit to a timber roof under construction. On-site safety compliance & reporting (bring own hard hats and closed shoes).
- 16:00 End of Day 2
- 08:30 Second site visit (to a different site)
- 10:00 Tea/coffee
- 10:20 Discussion of site observations
- 11:00 Responsibilities of Inspector, Professional Insurance & ethics.
- 11:30 Discussion of making a business in roof inspections
- 12:00 Q&A session
- 12:30 Lunch
- 13:30 Slide show of non-compliant roofs & the consequences
- 14:30 Non-compulsory written evaluation (certificates for successful candidates)
This course has been CPD accredited by the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) for 3 points. ECSA Validation No. ITCSA-INS0817
Note: candidates wishing to obtain certificates will be assessed continually over the course during discussions and especially during the two site visits.
All candidates will receive the ITC manuals for roof inspections.
Delegates to preferably have a year or more of post-matric education with science and mathematics, matric with involvement in roofs or Recognised Prior Learning (RPL).
Engineers who are interested in expanding their knowledge and expertise in timber roof structures will greatly benefit from this informative course.
Cost: R5500 (excl. 15% VAT) = R6325
Venue: SAFCA Building, 6 Hulley Road, Isando
Date: 7, 8 & 9 May 2018
Time: 8am – 4pm daily
Note that, while every attempt will be made to give attendees a thorough education in roof inspection, the ITC-SA does NOT commit to employ anyone as a roof inspector.